Built in 1908, the East Stroudsburg Railroad Tower stands near the corner of Lackawanna and Analomink Streets in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. In its glory days, as part of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, the tower controlled the switches and signals on the main tracks between Broad Street and Federal Street.
The tower is the last remaining DL&W wood railroad tower in Pennsylvania (and perhaps on the entire railroad), and still contains the original mechanical interlocking machine. While our tower no longer controls switches or signals, a few of these large levers can still be operated to demonstrate the features of these machines. No mechanical interlocking machines of this type remain in service in the United States.
The Tower Society
The East Stroudsburg Railroad Tower Society was formed in 2005 to restore, maintain, and operate this tower as a museum. Our goal is to preserve and promote an understanding of the history and significance of railroads and railroading, specifically as it relates to the tower and the surrounding area. We are an all-volunteer 501 (c) 3 educational organization.
Visiting the Tower
The tower is open for demonstrations during special events, particularly when excursion trains operate to the borough of East Stroudsburg. Volunteers staff the tower, and run the sales tables when we have them. Please check our calendar for dates and times.
The Tower in the News
» A piece of East Stroudsburg’s railroad history
As seen in the Pocono Record – 8/12/15
» East Stroudsburg Railroad Tower restoration
As seen in the Pocono Record – 6/5/09